As one of Southern California’s leading presenters of premier performing arts, La Jolla Music Society contributes to San Diego’s cultural vitality year-round through a rich variety of presentations, including classical, jazz, global roots, contemporary music, and dance, at its state-of-the-art venue, The Conrad. In addition to robust educational programs and community outreach, La Jolla Music Society produces SummerFest, a four-week music festival featuring over 80 world-class artists and ensembles performing eclectic concerts and programs.
To enhance cultural life and engagement by presenting and producing a wide range of programming of the highest artistic quality, and to make The Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center a vibrant and inclusive hub.
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access Values Statement:
La Jolla Music Society is committed to celebrating the diverse community we serve and to making The Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center a vibrant and inclusive hub. By exemplifying broad representation throughout the institution, it is our goal to dissipate traditional lines of separation, enabling audiences, artists, staff, donors, and students to connect with those who are different from themselves. We believe that through that connection—both on stage and off—we can enrich all our lives, broaden our experience open our minds, and achieve La Jolla Music Society’s mission.
To achieve this goal, we will work to reflect the core principles of inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA) in every aspect of what we do. As part of this commitment, we have identified six key areas to be viewed through an IDEA lens: artistic programming, education programming, venue usage, audience, staff, and Board.
- Artistic – Artistic programming that represents the audiences we currently serve and hope to serve in the future.
- Education – A broad range of education and community outreach programs that are inviting and inclusive; representative of the San Diego community; and accessible and affordable for people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds.
- Venue – The Conrad will actively pursue rental clients, who represent varying backgrounds, including on race, faith, and ability, and will work to ensure that licensees’ values align with LJMS’s IDEA values and initiatives.
- Audience – An audience that reflects the broader makeup of the San Diego community and the diversity of the world around us.
- Staffing – A working environment where everyone knows they are welcome and valued regardless of who they are or how they identify; where difference is encouraged; and where those differences help us learn from one another.
- Board – A Board composed of individuals with a range of skills, perspectives, backgrounds and/or resources that promotes creativity and innovation; is open to varying opinions; and welcomes robust and respectful discussion.